Garage floors, like any other floor in the house gets dirty. If you’re like me and like your garage floor nice and clean, you’ll want to take a look at these garage vacuums.
Using the same vacuum as the rest of your house is not only a pain as they usually aren’t light, but you’ll want a vacuum more suited to your garage floor. These vacuums can also be suitable for your porch/outside area. So, in this article, I’ll be showing you the best garage vacuums you can get today.
First of all, let’s take a look at why it’s worth getting a garage vacuum.
Why Invest in a Top Garage Vacuum
When it comes to garage vacuums, you get what you pay for. Some vacuums may have more bells and whistles than others, but here are the main features/reasons why you should get one for your garage today.
More specifically, horsepower. A good garage vacuum will have a decent peak as to the power it can generate while cleaning your garage. This is also important for cleaning other areas such as outside areas like a patio where it is more difficult to clean.
Most household vacuums will run around 1,000 watts which is about 1.5 horsepower. With garage vacuums, you can expect a range of 4-15 horsepower at their peaks.
Your average household vacuum will offer you a capacity of 2-10 litres. Garage vacuums offer 10 litres at the very least, and will usually be around the 20-30 litre mark.
This may be important for your garage as you may find that there is extra mess if you’re doing activities or have a workshop. It is also useful when you want to clean up outside areas of your home which tend to have increased mess to clean up.
Increased Ease of Use
Finally, garage vacuums on average, are lighter, can mount to walls easier, and have longer hose and power cord lengths. These factors will make cleaning your garage just that extra bit easier and therefore, in my opinion, well worth the investment.
That being said, let’s take a look at the best garage vacuums to make it easier for you to enjoy a nice clean space in your garage.
Top Garage Vacuums
1. GarageVac GH120-E Black Wall Mounted Garage Vacuum. This wall mounted vacuum has a capacity of 3 litres and has a hypo allergenic filtration feature. This means the vacuum chamber stops the bag from collapsing so it can fill to the top with the same suction and won’t contaminate the air as a result. Being a wall-mounted vacuum may seem like more work to store, but this compact vacuum is easy to install as you’ll just have to hang it to the wall, and it will save you a ton of space in your garage. It is also lightweight while being powerful, only taking up 2.5 feet of wall space. Finally, it is crack/rust resistant while being very portable, making it suitable for other rooms, cleaning your car, the list goes on.
2. CRAFTSMAN CMXEVBE17595 16 Gallon 6.5 Peak HP Wet/Dry Vac. Craftsman are one of the go-to brands for most garage enthusiasts, this is no exception. This heavy-duty vacuum will work perfectly to clean any garage floor. The built-in oversized drain feature will allow you to conveniently empty out the liquids on the wet/dry vac. Another built-in feature is the blower port, this will allow for quick and effective cleaning of your garden. This vacuum will offer you 180-degree mobility at each end with its dual flex technology to resist kinking. Finally, this vacuum comes with a ton of accessories, including a dual flex hose, extension wands, nozzles for your car and other types of cleaning, alongside loads more.
If you don’t fancy all of that power and capacity, but want the same quality of a Craftsman vacuum, here is the CRAFTSMAN CMXEVBE17590 9 Gallon 4.25 Peak HP Wet/Dry Vac.
3. Bissell, Red, MultiClean Wet/Dry Garage and Auto Vacuum Cleaner. This corded-electric garage vacuum comes with a powerful 11-amp motor which will offer your garage amazing wet and dry cleaning. The 6-gallon capacity will be enough for most garages and will last a long time due to its 2-stage filtration. Like a high-quality vacuum should, it includes a blowing function perfect for your garage or outside area. Reviews for this vacuum show very strong reviews for suction, being lightweight, and ease of use. Finally, the specialised automated tool kit includes lots of features such as a crevice tool to get the best clean for your garage.
4. Stanley – SL18116P Wet/Dry Vacuum, 6 Gallon, 4 Horsepower. Another corded-electric (120 V) vacuum. This wet/dry vacuum has a large capacity of over 22 L, which will make each clean-up job easy no matter what size your garage is. It also offers incredibly high suction with its 4 peak HP motor. My favourite feature of this vacuum is the 3 in 1 function. This versatile vacuum can handle wet liquid spills alongside dry debris, and a blowing function for leaves (or anything you wish). A unique feature of this vacuum is its reach, it has a cleaning reach of a whopping 16 feet so you can clean your whole garage with just one power outlet. Finally, it comes with a ton of accessories alongside a 12-month warranty, you can’t go wrong.
5. VacuMaid GV30 Wall Mounted Garage Vacuum with 30 ft Hose and Tools. The final garage vacuum on this list is a high performing, wall-mounted, 120-volt vacuum. The booming reviews don’t lie, you get what you pay for with this one, being reviewed 5 stars out of five for each feature. Coming with tons of high-quality extras, it’s easy to change the 7-gallon, 5-layer HEPA bag, meaning you won’t have to change or clean any filters or cans. The 5.1” motor adds 25% more to its lifespan compared to other high-quality garage vacuums. Speaking of which, the powder-coated steel makes it suitable for lifetime use as it’s corrosion resistant, if that isn’t enough though, the 5-year warranty will give you the ultimate peace of mind. Finally, it is easy to mount to the wall making this, in my opinion, the ultimate garage vacuum. I left the best until last here.
Tips to Help Maintain your Garage Vacuum
When you see how good a garage vacuum can be, you’ll want to treat it with love and care, so to help you with that, I’ll be sharing some tips to help you get a longer lasting garage vacuum.
Change or Clean the filter Regularly
This may sound obvious, but it is often overlooked and can make a massive difference to the lifespan of your garage vacuum. Over time, filters will become blogged, tear, or wear out. While garage vacuums tend to have superior lifespans compared to normal vacuums, it is worth changing the filter every 3-6 months depending on how much you use it.
If you don’t want to or can’t change the filter, you’ll need to clean the filter regularly, maybe even every time you use the vacuum if you do big cleans. This is a simple process of dumping the debris from the filter into a bin, just make sure to stand back as a dust cloud is likely to form.
Clean the Exterior of your Garage Vacuum
Dust can and will settle on the exterior of your garage vacuum, therefore, cleaning the dust off is important to keep the air flowing and deliver the most suction. It’s not just dust that can cause the suction to decrease, there can be bigger objects that can obstruct your vacuum. This will cause your motor to work harder and therefore shorten the lifespan of your garage vacuum, so give it a clean.
Check for Obstructions in your Hose
A lot of people forget that obstructions in their hoses will cause a loss of suction and a decrease of the overall performance of their vacuum. This may be more obvious when this happens, therefore, when it does, make sure to thoroughly check for kinks or wear in the hose. Either that or feel for something lodged inside the hose that can be shaken out.
Hopefully, these simple, yet usually overlooked tips will help to expand the lifespan of your garage vacuum. As long as you clean in interior and exterior often, you’ll be using the same vacuum for years.
Garage vacuums are superior to regular vacuums in many ways, and they have to be in order to clean your garage and outside areas.
The vacuums I’ve shown you are all of very high quality and will offer you features and extensions that will keep your garage clean for years, given that you maintain them well.
If you don’t want so much hassle when it comes to keeping your garage floor clean though, be sure to check out my article on Interlocking Garage Floor Tiles to transform your garage floor.
Thank you for reading until the end, I wish you clean garages for years to come.