Garage doors serve as the primary entry point to our homes, providing security, convenience, and protection from the elements. A crucial component of any garage door system is the springs. While often hidden from view, garage door springs play a vital role in the smooth and efficient operation of the door.
In this article, I’ll explore the reasons why investing in the best door springs is essential, and I’ll provide step-by-step instructions on how to install them.
Why Invest in Garage Door Springs?
It’s not the most exciting purchase, I know, however, for the security and overall utility of your garage, it is one of the most important. Just in case you’re not convinced yet, here are the main reasons you should be investing in some great door springs.
Enhanced Durability: Garage door springs are subjected to immense stress each time you open or close your garage door. Investing in high-quality springs ensures they can withstand this daily wear and tear, resulting in a longer lifespan for your entire garage door system.
Improved Safety: The safety of your family and property is paramount. High-quality springs are designed with safety in mind. They are less likely to snap or break, reducing the risk of accidents or property damage.
Smooth and Quiet Operation: Premium door springs provide a smoother and quieter door operation. You’ll notice the difference immediately in the reduced noise and increased convenience.
Reduced Maintenance Costs: Cheaper springs are more prone to wear and tear, necessitating frequent repairs or replacements. Investing in top-tier springs saves you money in the long run by reducing maintenance costs.
Consistent Performance: High-quality springs ensure your garage door opens and closes consistently. This predictability is essential for a well-functioning garage door.
Top Garage Door Springs
1. Pair of 2″ Garage Door Torsion Springs Set with Non-Slip Winding Bars & Gloves.
We’re starting the list off strong with these high-quality, easy-to-install springs. Made of heat-treated professional spring steel coils with aluminium cones to make sure they are extremely heavy duty. These come with installation instructions and gloves to make the set-up process seamless. The reviews speak for themselves for this one, while it may seem like a hefty investment for something that’s not very ‘sexy’, customers rated very highly for value for money.
2. Pair of 160lb. Heavy Duty Garage Door Extension Springs Stretch Springs. If you’re looking for springs similar to the ones above but don’t want to spend quite as much, these professional ASTM-A228 spring steel coils are the ones for you. These are just as easy to install while they have also been heat-treated to ensure they have extremely high durability. These also come in a wide range of colours to fit your garage’s aesthetic.
3. Pair of 2″ Garage Door Torsion Springs with Non-Slip Winding Bars. Speaking of a wide range of colours, these popular, powdered metal cobalt steel springs in rarely in stock because so many garage enthusiasts just have to have them! Ranked highest for their ease of use, you can have them out the box and working in no time and no hassle, but I would hurry before they run out of stock again.
4. DURA-LIFT Torsion Garage Springs. These corrosion resistant springs have a 1-year warrenty, but looking at them, they look like they’ll last a lifetime. Made out of solid steel, these USA-made, easy-to-install springs will get the job done so you can set it and forget it. These no-nonsense garage door springs insure quality, and if you ask me, look nice enough to fit into any garage.
5. ARKANTOS Garage Door Torsion Springs 2″(Pair), High Quality Electrophoresis Spring with Winding Bars. Finishing off the list with springs that won’t break the bank, but perfectly mix sturdiness and ease of use into a perfect cocktail of DIY satisfaction and aesthetics. These garage door torsion spring features high-quality, heat-treated steel coils with aluminium cones. Its advanced electrophoretic coating provides excellent anti-corrosion and anti-abrasion properties, tested up to 400 hours in a salt spray experiment. These springs’ torsion set comes with a comprehensive package, including mounting kit accessories and extra gloves, facilitating effortless installation and replacement. With these pre-processed springs, there’s no need for additional lubrication, streamlining the process even further. Sorry for the long description, but when they’re this good, you can’t help yourself!
Now you’ve hopefully found some garage door springs that are perfect for your garage door, let’s take a look at how to install them – this is a general guide, most door springs will come with their own instructions.
How to Install you Garage Door Springs – Word of Warning!
Before you begin, please note that installing or replacing garage door springs can be dangerous if not done correctly. If you’re not experienced with garage door systems, it’s highly recommended to seek professional help. However, if you’re confident in your abilities and have the necessary tools, here’s a general guide to help you through the process:
Tools and Materials Needed:
- New high-quality garage door springs (choose the right type – extension or torsion – for your door)
- Winding bars
- Vise grips
- Safety glasses
- A ladder
- Socket wrench
- A friend or helper for safety and assistance
All of these materials can be found at your local hardware store, or at (amazon link), except a friend, you can’t buy friendship unfortunately. Once you’ve got all of these, you’re ready to install!
1. Disconnect the Power: Before starting, unplug or disconnect the power source to the garage door opener to ensure it won’t accidentally activate during the installation.
2. Release Tension: If you’re replacing existing springs, use winding bars to release the tension on the old springs. Be extremely cautious during this step as it’s where accidents are most likely to occur.
3. Remove the Old Springs: Carefully remove the old springs from the garage door system.
4. Install the New Springs: Attach the new high-quality springs to the appropriate brackets. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your specific springs.
5. Wind the Springs: Using winding bars and vise grips, wind the new springs to the correct tension. Again, caution is essential during this step.
6. Secure the Springs: Make sure the springs are securely attached and tensioned according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
7. Test the Door: Reconnect the power to the garage door opener and test the door’s operation to ensure it opens and closes smoothly.
8. Safety Check: Perform a thorough safety check to ensure the garage door operates safely and without issues.
Remember, if you are uncertain at any point during the installation process, or if you are dealing with torsion springs (which can be particularly hazardous), consult with a professional garage door technician to complete the job safely.
Investing in high-quality garage door springs and their proper installation will not only improve the performance and longevity of your garage door but also enhance the safety and security of your home.
For peace of mind and to ensure the job is done right, don’t hesitate to reach out to a professional if needed.
And that’s that! If you found this post useful please, share it with someone you know who needs new springs for their garage door. Thanks for reading!